A LOCAL CHAPTER OF THE AMERICAN ASSOCIATION OF WOODTURNERS
The Chicago Woodturners is a nonprofit organization dedicated to woodturning education.
Visitors are always welcome
NEXT MEETING AGENDA
January meeting Agenda
• Meeting will be run by our incoming president, Andy Kuby.
• Gallery Critique – Al Miotke
• Demonstration- Ken Staggs, Spindle Turning
• Three new board and committee members officially begin on January 1. Andy Kuby, will be our new president, Frank Pagura is our new Secretary, and John Whitehurst is our new Newsletter Editor. Thanks to each of them for serving in these important roles.
• If you are reading this message you know that our website has had a major redesign. The goal was to provide a fresh look, organize all the sites information in a simpler format, and provide important news in a timely manner on the home page rather than waiting for the newsletter, or monthly meeting. Visit the site often. Many thanks to our Webmaster, Scott Barrett for the countless hours he has spent to improve our Website.
• CWT will participate for the first time in Stevenson High Schools Odyssey program. A two day Art and Craft day. We will be helping students turn pens during the school day on February 6. Volunteer signup will occur at the January meeting.
• Turn-On Chicago registration opened on January 1, 2018. Visit our website at www.turnonchicago.com to learn more about the event. Chicago Woodturner members receive a $20 discount if you register before April 1. You will also hear more about the event during the January meeting
ITEMS TO BUY OR SELL
Shop Light, Just Like The Pro’s Use
Magnetic Lathe Lights. A limited number of Magnetic Lathe Lights, similar to the ones on all of the Chicago Woodturners demonstration lathes, will be available starting March 15, 2017. The lights are $40 each. Please contact Andrew Kuby, 847-922-8201 or firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve one.
WoodRiver DV2 Self Centering vise
Woodriver DV2 Self Centering Vise, complete with full set of collars. Brand new and unused. Great for Pens and bottle stoppers. Retail price is $207, asking $65. Contact: Bob Finger at 847-361-6092 or email@example.com
• AAW's newest membership promotion begins on December 4, 2017, and is a perfect opportunity for your chapter members to give us a try - especially those who have been on the fence about joining the AAW. This new introductory membership enables chapter members who have never been AAW members to test the waters of a full AAW membership for THREE MONTHS FOR JUST $20. If they wish to continue their AAW membership, introductory members will be automatically renewed one time for an additional NINE MONTHS FOR JUST $40. Individuals who have never been AAW members may sign up for a three-month introductory AAW membership using a credit card at http://tiny.cc/ITM2040. AAW will award tuition scholarships to selected AAW chapter members for 2018 courses at Arrowmont School of Arts and Crafts or John C. Campbell Folk School. Chapters must provide the names of nominees, the number of chapter members, and the number of AAW members in the chapter, using the online application not later than January 7, 2018. Winners will be notified by January 21, 2018.
• The complete November issue of Woodturning FUNdamentals is available on line. Features include "Turn a Side-Hollowed Christmas Ornament," by John Lucas, and "Put a Proper Lid on It," by Walt Wager.